Tuesday, August 9, 2011

America's Got Talent - YouTube Special

Out of a thousand YouTube auditions, only 20 of which we got to see, the judges chose 12 to compete for four spots. Props to the judges for sitting through a thousand acts. I couldn't do it, but then I'm not getting paid.

The first act, from Charlotte N.C., incorporates modern dance/music with clog dancing. TNC Elite is different and, no, can't be compared to Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance. They danced to the upbeat, Black Eyed Peas tune "I Gotta Feeling" and it suited their style perfectly.

Where does an illusionist go at 50? Well, if your name is Brett Daniels and you're from Wisconsin, you audition on YouTube for AGT. He did a tribute to Marilyn Monroe and I thought it was a great trick. The problem is I was bored. What he lacks, in my opinion, is showmanship.

Now if he had a face like the next act, you'd have to love him. Gabe Rock, rawks. The humor this cute little bull dog brought to the act, was a good choice. Oh wait, his trainer created the act. Who was she anyways? "What does Piers do when he doesn't like an act?" she asked. Gabe buzzed the buzzer. But hiking his leg on a cardboard cut-out of Piers was what I'm sure a lot of acts would like to do. Who doesn't like doggies? Cat lovers most probably.

There are so many acrobatic acts that Aeon, from L.A. has a lot of competition, even though I've yet to see another free running dance group on AGT. What they lack in talent, they make up for in energy.

I remember the little southern miss from her YouTube audition. And I agreed with the judges that Breena Bell from Alabama could see the Olympics in her future, but doesn't stand a chance on AGT.

The male singer competition isn't overwhelming this season so, who knows, the Texan, Kevin Colis, might stand a chance. He's not a Michael Grimm, but then there's only one of him. I'm not a big fan of The Lazy Song, although he did hit and sustain the final high note flawlessly.

Next up was a 14 year old dancer from Alabama, Beth Ann Robinson. When I watched her YouTube performance I thought she had talent, but with the drama and emotion she brought to the act to tell a story...well, it was pretty awesome. And the kid can dance.

Gymkana an acrobatic team from MD did their stunts to Lady Gaga's "On the Edge." They're an incredibly talented ladder act that not only has to have balance, coordination and perfect timing, but complete TRUST in the dude that holds up the ladders. Obviously, I wouldn't make the act, because I don't trust anyone.

What kid wouldn't wanna be surrounded by gorgeous girls? Well, maybe not all guys. With a name like Kalani, you'd have to be from Hawaii, right? The gorgeous girls, who danced around while he played with his balls - oh did I mention he does a freestyle basketball act? - looked nervous as hell. Howie described him as a one-man Harlem Globetrotter act. It's interesting to watch, but what other tricks can he do? I mean the Globetrotters can at least play basketball.

West Springfield Dance Team bills themselves as hip hop dancers, but it didn't look hip hop to me. Although the choreography, with their vampire-ish look and contacts that made their eyes translucent was different, it didn't scare me at all. They have one really good move; however, the competition in this category is plentiful.

The guy that got the most YouTube votes hails from my hometown, Chicago. When I saw Matt Whilhelm's YouTube audition I wasn't too impressed. Seems everyone these days wants to glow in the dark. His bicycle glowed and was extremely talented, too. I never saw a bicycle break dance by itself. Oh wait! He was on it doing the tricks, but you couldn't see him? Ohhhhhhhhh I get it now. So when he appeared spinning in thin air, the bicycle was just blacked out? Unfortunately, I didn't even realize that his costume was the innards of a human that glowed in the dark, because it didn't.

Lastly, a high school choir from California, Powerhouse. It's a different kind of choir that makes you want to be happy and makes you feel like singing? Okay. The choir in the movie Sister Act made me happier and made me feel like singing. This choir, not too much.

So, which four of the above acts do you think will make it to the semis? There's certainly no Jackie Evancho there and with the exception of Beth Ann Robinson, I don't see any of them going to the finals.

That's my take on the YouTube performers, but before I log off a warm welcome to my newest viewer, Leslie and thanks for following. :)


5 comments:

mikeylikesit said...

How dare you welcome Leslie, when you never welcomed me? lol

I'm voting that none of the acts move forward. That's right, you heard me.

Anonymous said...

No one was particularly outstanding, but I agree Beth Ann Robinson is talented.

I had to laugh when you said something about people glowing in the dark, because I was thinking that myself.

tinkerbell said...

I'm a dog lover, but never cared for bull dogs. Sorry, but the face of the magician is much better.

The dancer, Beth Ann, was really good for a 14 year old.

avilo said...

lmao, very astute review as usual, eh i always think the same about the glow dark people...all copying fightin gravity...

and you should make a poll like i taught you dodorbrain

Hart said...

Who you calling dodobrain, dumb ass???

I'll make a poll when I feel like making a poll - you ain't the boss of me. (Although you really try to be) FAIL!