Tuesday, August 16, 2011

America's Got Talent - The Wild Card Show

Correction - Thanks to USCMD, who pointed out my error. I inadvertently gave Peachock's balls to Landon Swank. Oops

Tonight the judges had their choice of acts they thought got a raw deal and were sent home too soon. As far as I'm concerned, some of these acts were better than ones the judges sent straight to Vegas. Then again, as Bob Barrenger said in State and Main, "The only second chance I know, is to make the same mistake twice."

The acts Piers picked:

The Kinetic King, whose act didn't fail the second time around. With tin cans, garbage pails, balloons, string, oranges and his Popsicle sticks, he started the chain reaction and it went off beautifully. There should have been more aerial shots, but all in all it was a great trick. As fun as it is to watch, I still don't think it's worth a million bucks.

Charles Peachock, who I think deserved a second chance, but did fail. A juggler can't drop the props. He started off with a flaming chain saw and two fire balls, but his second trick, with the swords was a disaster. He balanced the blade of one sword on the point of another that rested on his forehead. With the top sword spinning, he juggled three other swords, only oops, he dropped one. The end.

Summerwind Skippers, a jump rope act, makes jumping rope "sexy." Hell, I knew that it was sexy from when I was a kid. Bouncing boobies and well packed baskets what more could ya ask for? I know, glow in the dark jump ropes and costumes.

The Magician that Piers thought deserved a second chance was Landon Swank. I thought he was good when he (and herein lies the error :D) tinkled the ivory with his balls.  Tonight, he performed a pretty awesome trick under water. I hate under water tricks, because I always feel compelled to hold my breath and I always drown.

Howie's Picks:

Come on! He brought back Those Funny Little People just to spite Piers.

Seth Grabel made a car appear, but hell, he had a smoke screen to disguise the trick itself. The best part of his act were the three kids, who emerged from the car. A mini Sharon, a mini Howie, and a mini Piers.

I was beginning to think that Howie really doesn't know talent until the comedian, J Chris Newburg came on stage. He did a Piers (who absolutely didn't think Newburg had an ounce of comedic talent) roast and it was funny enough to make Piers laugh - okay he fought it, but there was definitely a smile on his face. Well, actually, it was about Piers so, of course his narcissistic self would find it entertaining. I'm sure what Newburg wanted to do was hike his leg on Piers ala Gabe Rock.

Howie also brought back Fiddleheads, the blue grass group that incorporates contempary music in their act. Yeah, I think they left the blue grass in Kentucky.

Sharon's picks:

Unlike, Howie and Piers, Sharon has a musical background, so she should know music. When she brought back the chipmunks, in the bodies of Avery and the Calico Hearts, I was thoroughly disappointed in her. Boo Hiss. You don't choose talent based on cuteness. The song in which I'm pretty sure, the fairest of them all, started off key, was something about dynamite. Isn't dynamite kinda like a bomb?

Shevonne, who sang Madonna's Nobody's Perfect was really good, though. It's nice to hear people admit they're wrong and all three judges admitted that sending her home in the first place was dead wrong.

Last week Sharon already told us that she would bring back West Springfield Dance Team and she was wrong. Not only didn't they step it up, it was just boring horror.

The one act I thought should be in the semis and Sharon was good enough to bring back is Yellow Design Stunt Team. Man, those BMXers are dangerously exciting. Every time they appear,  their act has a different theme. Costumed in pirate attire with a stage to match the story, they performed sensational stunts. Shiver me timbers.

My picks:

Yellow Design Stunt Team
Shevonne
J. Chris Newburg
Landon Swank






3 comments:

USCMD said...

You need to watch more closely. Landon doesn't juggle, let alone drop balls on the piano, that was Charles "the dropper" Peachcock.

But I think your on the right track with your picks, kinda.

I've picked 11/12 so far. I have Landon Swank and Shevonne in. Plus 2 of a group of four. Kinetic King, yellow design, Chris Newberg and Summerwind skippers.

If it were 'talent alone' I'd be adding Newberg and yellow design, but Summerwind and kinetic kings have an endearing quality, a charm or charisma that might move them ahead.

I got a kick out of Chris Newberg's choice of material. Nothing safer then attacking someone universally disliked. And just to make sure, he added waving an american flag. If he moves on, whats next roasting Hitler or a treatise on apple pie or motherhood?

Hart said...

LOL! I wasn't in my right mind, USCMD. I laughed so hard when I read your comment. I have no idea how I confused the two, but I'm sure lots of viewers read that and thought, "huh?"

I know what you mean about the talent v popularity, but I have confidence in America.

Thanks for correction and please do continue to read - I mess up lots of things. Someone corrected me once on an Army Wives blog when I gave one of the husband's to another wife. haha

avilo said...

great writing as usual my love :) sadly i haven't seen any of the recent eps with you, but your vivid descriptions always make me think i have seen them.