Tuesday, July 19, 2011

America's Got Talent 7-19-11 - Twelve More Acts

Another 12 face the hardest audience ever - the general public. We're either gonna like 'em or hate 'em, or we're gonna be undecided. What these acts know, when they get on stage, is that this is their last chance to impress America. Who impressed you?

First we were attacked by Attack Dance Crew from Tallahassee, Florida. *shrugs* With all the other dance groups I've seen this season, I wasn't too impressed.

Next, Dani Shay, from Orlando, Florida. I just know America's heart went out to her when she goofed in Vegas. I'm as happy as she was that the judges gave her a second chance.

Following Dani's so not mainstream song, we were "hammered" with one-liners. Geechy Guy, who hails from Rochester, is the heavy sweater who apparently found an antiperspirant, because he was pretty cool tonight in response to Piers's critique. "I'm not sure what you do for a living, so I'll have to take the word of a professional comic," he said, referring to Howie, who thinks he is funny.

His last joke was hilarious. A guy poses for a Grey Poupon commercial holding open this ginormous sandwich and the line reads "Poupon me." LOFL Guess you had to be there.

Daniel Joseph Baker, from Katy, Texas has - since the beginning - been one of my favorites. Tonight, he appeared on stage sitting at a piano more flamboyant than his character But even the Zebra facade in no way out shined him. He performed, Lady Gaga's "I'm On The Edge," with the confidence of a seasoned entertainer. You're on your way to stardom, "Lady GuyGuy."

And whilst we're all looking for the million-dollar act, I can't say I was too impressed with The Rhinestone Ropers, or their stage-frightened horse, Lucky. Of course, I didn't think they deserved a straight-through to Hollywood, either.

Like they say in show business, never perform with animals or kids. I understood what the lawyer, turned "Wild-West showman," meant about the horse being out of his element with the lights and small stage and all, but this horse failed miserably and the lawyer, "Mounting him from behind" wasn't even exciting.

Maybe they should have kept Lucky on stage for the Pennsylvania boy, Dylan Andre, seeing as they both seemed a bit uncomfortable up there. *shrugs* He's not bad and will grow, I'm sure. But with only one year's worth of experience, he needs more time.

Now if Landon Swank, from Alaska, could adopt some of Baker's stage presence, he'd be a pretty good magician. He could have made that see through mirror trick a lot more exciting.

Speaking of excitement, it doesn't get more heart-pounding than the Smage Bros and their motorcycle act. From a small town in Wisconsin, where I guess there's nothing better to do than motorcycle tricks, they came to Hollywood and wowed the audience with some thrilling stunts. The "brother without a mother of theirs" gets my applause. Just laying there like he did takes guts.

I suppose it took guts for Thomas John the juggler from San Fran to perform his death defying balancing act whilst fumbling more of his bowling pins. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Steven Retchless, the male pole dancer from NY NY, offered an exquisite performance. Piers doesn't get it, but like Steven said, "It takes a lot of effort to make something look effortless." Hell, he was bleeding after his performance. Thanks to the audience for booing Piers. And thanks to Howie for the comparison, "Last season we had Prince Poppycock, you're like Prince PoleyCock." lol

Named after a work of art, the singing twins, Mona Lisa, from Houston, have great harmony. They've got a lot going for them, but I don't see a million-dollar act. The song they chose, Rascal Flatts, "Bless the Broken Road," whilst some awesome lyrics, didn't offer the wow factor to warrant a million bucks.

But for the wow factor, we got Silhouettes. A group of 42 dancers - the youngest being three - from Denver, Colorado, who perform shadow artistry. It's uniquely genius and entertaining to watch these ballet dancers form scenes with their bodies.

Obviously you're bound to get a standing ovation from Americans when you pay tribute to America with "God Bless America," but daaayuum, they built the White House, Mt. Rushmore, the NY Skyline, the Statue of Liberty, and America spelled out, with their bodies. It was truly awesome!

My picks to move on to the finals: Silhouettes, Steven Retchless, Daniel Joseph Baker and Dani Shay.

Amirite? (I learned that from Ayesee @ It's Gosu. And no, it's not a Greek God like I thought.

5 comments:

avilo said...

very nice write up :) and you be witty, but oh god, no amirite lol, that's internet lingo supreme -_-

Hart said...

thanks for the compliment, but ummm...I'm not an internet junkie like you so the first time I ever saw it was when Ayesee said, "Amidoinitrite" - or something like that - and I thought it was a frickin Greek God or sumfin, before I figured it out. lol

♥ and a 9829 to you too. :)

avilo said...

yw and a greek god AMIDOINITRITE LOFL, you definitely are my full on blondie

9829 to u

Anonymous said...

When I read your views on the show, I really feel like I was there.

You're funny and entertaining when you write these things.

As soon as the show is over, I read your blog

tinkerbell said...

I agree with Anon. lol

I don't always get to see the show and sometimes forget to tape it, but when I read your blogs about it, I feel like I saw it anyway.

Tonight I saw it and agree with you. I like your choices to go on.