Tuesday, July 26, 2011

America's Got Talent 7-26-11 - Twelve Performers Fight to Win

Another exciting night on America's Got Talent. Now I know why, in the past, I've only watched starting with the quarter finals. lol

The first act on stage was a group of jump ropers from Boise, Idaho.Summerwind Skippers are fun to watch and their choreography is great. Still, I don't know if I'd pay to watch them jump rope as headliners in Vegas.

It's kind of like the YoYo Kid, Ian Johnson, although Summerwind didn't make as many mistakes as the kid from Hebron, Illinois. As skilled a yoyo-ist as he might be, I'm not shelling out big bucks to see the act.

Now, I might pay to see Sh'Boss Boys. LOL! How cute can you get? The rappers, 5, 6, and 7 years old, from Atlanta, are more then precious little boys, they're talented.

Mauricio Herrera, from Cali, is a consummate entertainer, who offers lots of fun in his act, but does he have the voice to go with the show? In my opinion, he didn't perform Viva Las Vegas as well as Elvis, and didn't come close to Tom Jones, when he sang Delilah. So I ain't giving him a million bucks.

A magician/stunt person, Seth Grabel, from L.A. gave a dramatic Houdini-esque performance, but to me the trick was obvious. He hung upside down in a straight-jacket, over a tank of boiling tar whilst a sawmill type blade threatened to cut through the beam from which he hung.

With a black hood on his head, he began to free himself before the blade even started turning. Once freed, he fell into the boiling hot tar. Don't think so! But someone covered in feathers came from the tank and was carried into a cannon and then shot into a tank of water, where the sans feathered Seth appeared. Sorry, more of a circus act to me.

There were a couple more circus acts, as well. Captain and Maybelle, from Georgia, are just too yucky to watch. Forget the circus, it's a side-show act. Of course when Piers mentioned disgusting, the disgusting duo hi 5'd each other. lol I don't want to go to Vegas to see someone with hooks in their eyelids, nose or tongue.

Professor Splash, a 50 year old, from Denver, who jumped from 36 ft 7 in high into a 12 in deep pool of water at 40 mph is exciting. Nevertheless, it screams circus to me. Even if he loses, he's set a world record.

Oakland, California brought us a band that is better than some professional bands. Poplyfe was so good tonight that Piers retracted his former statement about the lead singer's "I don't go without my brothers" band. They are the epitome of superstars and deserved the standing ovation they received.

And who cleans up real good? Well that be Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr, from West Virginia. He's got "Pizazz" all right. When he sang "Fly Me to the Moon" he actually sang to me, the audience. So, add charisma to his great vocals. Even if he doesn't win it all, I'm certain he'll never wash another car.

Another vocalist, 12 year old, Monet, from N.C. sang "Home." Something that her family lost in 2005 due to a storm. She sings with feeling, but lacks emotion - if that makes any sense. The start was rough, but she ended on a high-note. Nevertheless, I agree with the judges, who pointed out that she wasn't pitch perfect and isn't ready for the big time.

Lys Agnes, an opera singer, from Denver, who lost her significant other a couple years ago, is not only beautiful, but performed Carmen's "Habanera" exquisitely.

Of course, I can't forget the former professional cheerleaders, Purrfect Angelz, from Los Angeles, CA. The choreography was fun and they danced to one of my favorite songs - "Save a Horse and Ride a Cowboy." Mmmhmm - that's my motto, being such an animal lover. :D

There are three acts that I definitely want to see go to the semis: Lys Agnes, Poplyfe and Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr. Maybe the Sh'Boss Boys, but I have a feeling America is going to vote for one of the circus acts. Guess, we'll see tomorrow night.

4 comments:

mikeylikesit said...

I agree with most of what you said. I wouldn't send Sh'Boss Boys to Vegas. They are cute, but not a headline act imo.

tinkerbell said...

You're pretty good at picking them. And I enjoy your commentary and almost always agree with you.

I had to laugh when I read your line about "Save a Horse and Ride a Cowboy" Too funny!

avilo said...

very blunt and nice descriptions as usual cowgirl lol. so apparently most of the acts are circus acts you're saying...

i didn't see the guy dive into the shallow water but that sound pretty damn dangerous just thinking about it...tho not much depth to that act *get it get it* lol

i'm your cowboy 4 life missy, just wish you would see that right now, as someone has been MIA the past few days.

MIA = missing in action blondie

Hart said...

Thanks y'all for your comments.

@avilo - yeah, I get it. lol. Very clever, but then you've always been very clever and quick thinking and quick acting. Put it to good use.