Monday, June 13, 2011

The Tony Awards Show Turns 65 and...

"Theater is not just for gays anymore." Standing O for Neil Patrick Harris, who opened the show with that great number. He's so frickin talented. But when you do theater you have to be. You can't say "Cut" or "Let me redo that scene."

Brooke Shields must be wishing about now that she could have called cut - oh wait, she did. How embarrassing. Don't think any stage director is going to be auditioning her very soon.

Harris, in his opening number went into the audience for "rehearsed" spontaneity and Brooke was one of the victims he addressed. After three takes, she finally picked up the card and sang her couple lines. *Rolls eyes*

I was a drama major, not only because I love the theater, but because I'm a born drama queen and I started at the age of three in the performing arts so, it was only natural. One thing I know is there are at times pages of monologue to "memorize," Brooke. Pages! And trust me, when you're in a scene with a fellow actor, they don't like it when you forget your lines and have to cover for you. I think Harris handled it well. He hardly looked shaken. I bet her bit was what made the show run three minutes over.

Theater is dear to my heart, and when I was in Chicago I made the rounds with the rest of the cattle. I supplemented my income - between shows (90% of actors are between shows lol) - doing commercials and picking up extra bits in movies. When I wasn't on stage, I did everything from wardrobe to stage managing to production coordinator. Why? Because there's nothing more exhilarating than the theater. Or as the guy who picks up elephant crap at the circus once said, "The circus is in my blood."

Unfortunately, life sometimes has different plans for us. *sighs* But enough about me.

Tonight's production of the Tony's, like all 64 that preceded it, was handled like no other award shows. It didn't run 30 minutes over, only three - and Harris was still able to get in the rap at the end. Utter professionalism.

What amazed me was the number of well known TV and movie stars doing theater now, who have never done it before. Hey, leave us alone, you already made a name for yourselves. lol I'm certainly not saying movie stars can't act - Ellen Barkin won best female in a featured roll for The Normal Heart. But her acceptance speech was worthy of another Tony.

The Musical that walked away with the most Tony awards was "The Book of Mormon." I heard the writers talking about it on some late night show and it sounded pretty funny - but I still don't get the reference to South Park. *shrugs*

When the nominations for best musical were announced, Chris Rock, who is on Broadway starring in "The Mother*** in the Hat" was the presenter. OMG! That guy is so funny. "This is like taking a whore out for dinner, cuz we know who's gonna win." Funny, too, was Trey Parker, who accepted the award and thanked the now deceased founder of the Mormon religion for co-writing the script.

Okay, so I didn't get to see an hour of the awards, because it was the season finale of Army Wives - I hate when networks do that to me. grrrrrrr. I attempted to flip channels during commercials, but both stations had commercials running. I hate when sponsors do that to me. grrrrrr.

What I was able to catch was Francis MacDormand, who won best lead female actor, for her roll in Good People. I was impressed with whomever whoever designed her wardrobe. Let me see, Levi? Yeah, I get it. The blue denim jacket worn over a black and red striped granny dress, must have been a statement of some sort. Hmmm? No, sorry, I don't get it.

Best lead male actor in a play went to Mark Rylance for his role in "Jerusalem."

Leading male actor in a musical, for his role in "Catch Me If You Can" went to an actor named Butz. Which reminds me of a funny story...okay, never mind.

Sutton Foster won leading female in a musical for "Anything Goes," which also won in the category of Best Musical Revival. The only other nominee was "How to Succeed in Business."

It's amazing to me how these actors can dance up a storm and still have air in their lungs to belt out that final note of the song like Sutton did. Just, wow!

Oh, I got to hear the resonnating voice of James Earl Jones, who along with Vanessa Redgrave announced "Moments in Theater." I'm pretty sure they're both staring in "Driving Miss Daisy." I'd love to see that.

Best Play was War Horse. I have no idea what that's about.

I got to see Robin Williams in a long grey beard, making a presentation. And also Joel Grey, who has been in theater for six decades. You might be more familiar with his daughter Jennifer Grey, who was the dancing sensation in "Dirty Dancing" or for her Mirror Ball win on Dancing with the Stars. Also, caught a glimpse of a very sexy, very beautiful Christy Brinkley, who is ummmm.... 57 frickin years old????? Oh, and Priscilla - Queen of the Desert, was a great production number with "It's Raining Men, Hallelujah."

Frankly, I regret having changed over to Army Wives for an hour and missing any of the awards show. :(

Oh well, there's always next year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, I don't know much about the tony awards or what not, but i'm glad you enjoyed them miss drama queen. oh and the south park thing...the creators of south park make that mormon play and some other play (the other directly having to do with south park), that's what they had to do with that play and the awards.

good stuff missy

Anonymous said...

Lucky Taz would have had no idea what they were talking about at the Tony awards, so didn't watch.
Glad you enjoyed it though.

Anonymous said...

"I was impressed with whomever designed her wardrobe." Congratulations for caring about grammar and trying to get it right, but it should be "whoever": the object of the preposition "with" is the entire clause "whoever designed her wardrobe", while "whoever" is the subject of that clause and thus takes nominative case.

Hart said...

Oops. Thanks for the correction, anon, you're right. I don't always proof as well as I should. As I reread the line, the error was all too obvious.

LOL! That's why writers have editors.

I'll go one worse than grammar errors in a casual blog. When in Chicago I wrote for one of the three major papers. They stuck me in Obits, because I was just starting out. At the time it was in the editorial department.

If you misspelled a decedents name or anything in an obit and the proof readers didn't catch it, you were cursed to spend afterlife in the fires of hell lol. Can't say I blame em. (for grammar police - "em" is them without the 'and the th) :D