Thursday, June 9, 2011

Starcraft Groupies

If you're a celebrity, in any genre, you're bound to have groupies. Perhaps, the term is more applicable for fans of rock bands; however, as Starcraft becomes ever more visible to the public, it only stands to reason that the players will get their fair share of adoring fans.

First, what's the difference between a groupie and a fan?

According to Wiki, a groupie is a person who seeks emotional and sexual intimacy with a celebrity. Female groupies in particular have a long-standing reputation of being "available" to celebrities.

Are they akin to whores? I guess it depends on your definition of the word, but groupies don't get paid for their services. Their only reward is to hang around with the stars, who basically use them as surrogate girlfriends.

A devoted fan admires the work of a celebrity and might start a club, but they don't dedicate their whole lives to a celebrity. They may daydream of one day getting up close and personal, but it's just that - a daydream.

Could a groupie become a stalker? Well that's a scary thought; however, when you're a Starcraft player, who is most probably a very young and naive nerd, and haven't had much experience with women - maybe none - getting attention from a groupie could be thrilling, irrespective of the consequences.

A popular player recently introduced his "girlfriend" to the SC community. The forums were a buzz with mostly posts about how hot she is and how lucky this player is to have landed such a beauty. Again, these are probably young men who, like a lot of men, can't think past their dicks.

Granted, before she spoke in the interview, I thought she was extremely pretty. Unfortunately, she conducted herself like an airhead. - giggle giggle. But then young, horny boys don't look past the surface; they don't think, they just feel, so substance is irrelevant to them.

Prior to this, the same girl was video-taped with another Starcraft player - her boyfriend at the time and not well-known in the community. So, I have to wonder if she just used this other kid to get her foot in the door. And if I'm wondering that, wouldn't her new "boyfriend" wonder how long he'll last? When someone more attractive, more well-known comes along, will she dump him?

At MLG-Dallas, there were girls running around asking popular players to autograph their boobs. Why? Does this mean they'll never again bathe? Or did the signer use indelible ink?

At MLG-Columbus, a poster wrote of his experience with his "whore of a girlfriend" during the event. Seems she would disappear to a bar where more popular players were hanging out and make out with them. Yeah, not one, but two, according to him. Of course she denied it and all was well, until the next night. I think the dude finally saw the light and broke up with her.

I guess I'm baffled by what these girls get out of being a groupie. Was there ever a groupie that was taken seriously? Did the groupie ever end up marrying the celebrity? Are the groupies at these Starcraft "after parties" the kind of girls you would take home to mother? I guess it's all possible, but certainly not the norm.

The Starcraft groupies I've read about are mostly empty-headed bimbos; most of whom are being used. What's disturbing to me is they don't seem to care. Maybe I can't relate. I was never gaga over some celebrity and I certainly couldn't fathom throwing myself at one. Then, again, I've always been the "hard to get" type.

Some of these boys/men are easy prey. They're naive, they're gullible, and no doubt - like the kid at MLG-Columbus - they will end up getting their hearts broken. But worse, it will leave a bad taste in their mouths and a lower opinion of women in general.

It's flattering to be idolized, but I think I'd rather have an adoring fan than a groupie. Oh, wait! I'm not a Starcraft male. lol

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I saw the interviews of the girl you're talking about. She is hot, but I wondered if she could hold an intelligent conversation.

And I kind of thought the same thing about her climbing the SC2 ladder.

Interesting.

avilo said...

yeh, they are airheads n the players are idiots. just shows how lucky i am in comparison ♥

avilo said...

also lol @ ret n catz

Hart said...

Yeah, you are pretty lucky. I didn't even know about Starcraft when I met you and, frankly, I'm sorry I know about it now. lol

But I support you, of course. and I believe in you - always have, always will.