Thursday, June 9, 2011

America's Got Talent? Not So Much

This is one show, where I think the judges really earn their money. Thankfully, the editing department spares the viewers from most of the dumb asses, who think they have talent. I do wonder what drugs they were on when they let some of these people fill airtime. I mean puuuuuleeeeeeze...

Jay the Cyberspace Tron Guy? A Howie impersonator that even Howie couldn't relate to? An Asian James Brown? And that was just in Houston. We still had an hour of Minneapolis to sit through.

Whilst Piers was snowed in, Howie and Sharon were letting every crazy act through. Thank God he returned to offer true and reasonable critiques. Okay, Piers is the Len Goodman of AGT, but at least he doesn't think everyone has talent.

After 18 hours to get from New York to Minneapolis, he wasn't too happy, and needless to say, Piers is worse than Scrooge, when he is in a good mood. He didn't like anyone and in most cases I had to agree with him.

The Funny Little People, that Sharon and Howie voted to go to Vegas, belong at Disneyland, but Piers was downright mean and insulting. Then, Howie thought it would be funny to have these little elf-like creatures harass Piers backstage and even in his dressing room. If Piers had a gun, I think he might have used it - on Howie.

And excuse me, but when is body piercing considered a talent? Frankly, after seeing these acts, I'd like to get a hold of a gun and go on a rampage in the editing department.

In all fairness, there were some highlights. In Houston there was a knife throwing act that was pretty intense and a juggler, who juggled in a unique way - using lighting effects. The piece d resistance was a 19 year old, extremely effeminate singer, who accompanied himself on piano. When he sashayed onto the stage, I immediately felt badly for him, thinking he certainly doesn't have any talent - and I have no doubt, by the looks on the judges faces, that they thought the same. He was personable and funny, but when Daniel belted out a GaGa song, I was blown away. I mean, WOW! I can't wait to see what he'll bring to Vegas.

Of course, there's a plethora of vocalists throughout the season, who are good to great; however, when you bring to the show an act that keeps people on the edge of their seats - like acrobatics performed on a balancing beam - you have my undivided attention. I was spellbound with the risk's this woman took. It was definitely different and an act I'd think would draw crowds in Vegas.

Professor Splash, however, even with the risk factor...I mean how far can you go? His goal is to set a world record on AGT. Tonight he just dove into a pool filled with 12" of water from a measly 26 feet. lol It was suspenseful, but isn't that really a circus act?

Before they left Houston, they discovered a couple more talented kids. Well, actually, Danny Shay, a Bieber look-a-like, is 22 and a girl. lol. She was personable and clever, but I can't see her going to Vegas either.

Neither can I imagine a 6 year old in Vegas? Can he even get into the clubs? The ever so adorable Tanner, danced his little butt off and was good. But the "awwwwww" moment was when he told Abbey, his little girlfriend back home, "I love you."

The goose bumps moment for me came in Minneapolis, when a 27 year old, who two years ago, lost her fiance in an auto accident, sang Ave Maria. Listening to her talk and seeing her, I figured she didn't have much to offer probably, but when she started singing...well, what came out of her was completely unexpected. Yeah, a real wow experience.

Also in Minneapolis was a group of performers, ranging in ages from 9 to 18, called the Silhouettes. To say the act was original and clever is a masterpiece of understatement. They told a story in silhouette, duh, creating unbelievable objects like trees and hearts with their bodies. A much more elaborate form of the shadow on the wall doggie that I use to make with my hands when I was a kid.

Fortunately, they topped off the two hour event with The Kinetic King. He typified what you'd expect from Minnesota, accent and all. A real nerd, who, for lack of dominoes, when he was a kid, started using Popsicle sticks.

It took him eight hours to set up the sticks and less than a minute for it to come down. Interesting enough to watch, but not Vegas material, unless of course he continues to incorporate his natural comedic talents.

When Howie asked him why he wore a helmet and goggles and padding, he replied, "I believe in safe sticks." OMG! I'm still laughing out loud.

A few years ago, I wrote reviews and did publicity for an art gallery. All this would have had to be 50 and certainly no more than 100 words, the amount of space the paper allotted the gallery. Blogging is so much funner. hehe. I don't have to worry about names or their correct spelling, if I don't want to. I don't have to worry about correct punctuation, or run-on sentences. I don't have to worry about ending a sentence with a preposition. Yeah, blogging is funner for sure :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky Taz recorded the show because we watched the CMT Music awards last night. I'm sure I'll agree with your assessment of the show.

Anonymous said...

Lucky Taz watched AGT last night and agrees with your assessment of the show. I think the bad acts are for comedy relief.
I also had goose bumps the whole time the girl was singing Ave Maria. I sure hope her next round is as good.
The guy (?) who sang Ga Ga was also a real surprise.
I'm not sure what they think the guy jumping into the pool is going to do for an encore. That's not talent ... that's just STUPID !