Monday, June 6, 2011

MLG - Columbus - What An Exciting Weekend

Since Dallas, I've learned a bit more about the MLG. For one thing, it's not only about Starcraft. There's competitions in Halo and CoD. But my main interest is Starcraft, so that's my focus. I also know now that when players are in the pool, it doesn't mean they're off swimming. It's more like players who received the most points at the last event get to not have to work to get to the top in this event.

Avilo didn't make Dallas, so he didn't have points and therefore was not in the pool. The people I expected to be in the pool were, but I was more interested in the open bracket, especially the VT Gaming team.

The first match, Friday night was Idra v MC, a Protoss from Korea, who replaced Bomber last minute when there were problems with his visa. I'm pretty sure this is the first time that members from the GSL (Korean based tournament) were invited to the MLG and I can understand why. Korean Starcrafters are far more disciplined and better players. Then, again, Koreans don't have to worry about anything else, but playing.

With that aside, the first game in a BO3 started and both players were pretty aggressive. Idra, who spent a couple years in Korea, played brilliantly. Whether you like the kid or not - and trust me, his demeanor and respect for others leaves much to be desired - you can't deny he's a great player. He easily took the BO3 2-0. Then, again, I couldn't help but think, well yeah, this kid, MC, just flew in from Korea. Obviously, he's suffering jet lag and adjusting to the time differential.

One thing I have to say about Sundance, the people that run MLG, is that they listen and care about what their viewers, both at home and in the audience, have to say.

They made vast improvements over the Dallas tournament. The first day they even gave all the viewers the stream in HQ, which usually costs ten bucks. When I watched day two, I thought to myself, this is about the same quality as yesterday, so why would I wanna pay ten bucks for HQ. Then it was announced that Sundance was going to stream HQ, free, the remainder of the tournament. Duh! No wonder. lol

Technical issues, which were prevalent at Dallas, were minimal to the point of going unnoticed in Columbus. They had three streams. The Red Stream, the Blue Stream, and a cross view.

The issue for me was, if I watched the Red Stream, hosted by DJ Wheat and Day 9, then switched to the Blue Stream, hosted by Artosis and Tasteless, it didn't always switch over. At first I thought, wow, Artosis and Tasteless look just like DJ Wheat and Day 9. Yeah, right.

There were some complaints in Dallas about the players being able to hear the casters. But this time, there was no way that could happen. Sundance equipped the auditorium with sound proof booths and the players wore headphones and ear buds.

Yeah, it was pretty well run in Columbus. Now, if the format was different, it could be near perfect.

I watched several of the games that were being streamed, but wasn't enjoying them as much as I did Dallas. Obviously, that's because Avilo was in this tournament and the players in the open brackets aren't streamed. After all, who cares about the wannabes? All I could do was bite my nails and fidget; see who he was playing and if he won by looking at the brackets - or waiting for him to send me a "woohoo" over his cell.

Avilo's first two games were v Zerg and he 2-0'd both of em. Then came a Protoss and it seemed like forever not knowing what was going on. The brackets hadn't updated, but I got the text. "Lost." My heart sunk.

The rest of his team mates lost as well, but Pokebunny, the 15 year old, and Spades went further, before losing.

Luckyfool, the Terran, who has competed against and lost to Avilo in every DC area LAN had but one wish, to go further than Avilo at MLG. I was keeping a close eye on his progress and had told him in a post on TL that in my crystal ball I see two players, both Terran, in a match fighting to win at MLG. At first their features were foggy, but then...wait! What? Luckyfool v Avilo? OMG! I laughed so hard thinking that would have to be Lucky's worst nightmare. Unfortunately, he lost in round three, too.

That was when the Double Elimination that everyone tried explaining to me finally sunk in. Avilo still had a chance to play his way back through the loser's bracket, as did the rest of his team mates. Day two would be a new day for him and the rest of the VT Gaming team to work their way back up.

Avilo's first game on day two was v Protoss, but if he could win that, his next match was Terran and after that another Terran. His TvT is solid and wicked and I had no doubt he'd make it out of the loser's bracket and come home at least placing in the top 20.

After checking the brackets to see that he beat the the Protoss, Bosnic, I was ecstatic. I messaged him immediately, only he didn't respond. After a while I figured out that he went straight into the TvT against Cocoa. That's when I began to worry. I didn't have anymore nails to bite, so I got busy in the kitchen, when I heard the ding dong and raced back to my computer. HA! The first game was over and he was letting me know he steamrolled the guy. I wish. "Great! I'm out."

My jaw dropped and I just sat staring at the message. I blinked my eyes a couple times to make sure I was reading right. Then I cried. I experienced the same disappointment that I'm sure he was feeling. He, like so many others, worked so hard practicing, preparing to make a name for themselves at MLG; to show the haters and the naysayers that they were wrong.

Then, I got pissed. I cursed the universe for not giving the kid a break. "WTF do you want from him?" Then I cursed him for going right into another game without a break, without getting in the zone, for doing something dumb. "Why didn't he message me back. Why didn't he give me the chance to give him a pep talk before going into the TvT?"

Too angry and disappointed to even see his name on my screen, I messaged "It's over now, so have some fun. Hit on some cute girls and get their numbers." Then I left my computer. Drama queen that I am, I flung myself on the couch and sobbed.

When he called I ranted and raved, "Now what?"

Earlier, I had run to a festival in town, but it was like 105 degrees so I didn't stay. I figured I'd go back for the bands and dance around 10, but then I realized that whether he and I talk or not, he needs to know that I'm here for him. Plus the fact that when I told him I was going I got a one word message back "NO." lol

Anyway, two of his team mates were still fighting to win and even though I couldn't watch them play, I wanted to be here to support them. Spades and Pokebunny were doing well in the loser's bracket and I was rooting for at least one, if not both, to make it. Unfortunately, they both lost in the last round of the bracket. *sighs*

There were only a couple matches that I was interested in watching. The Idra matches for sure, because I wanted to boo and hiss, even though he's an excellent Zerg. When he lost to MC in the rematch from the loser's bracket I was like one happy gal.

MC had to win four of the matches in order to beat Idra. The first three games I watched, I thought, Wtf, Idra isn't even trying. He gg'd without even a fight after his allins failed. Guess he knew he wasn't going to win and wanted the games over and done. At least in the fourth match, he was fighting to win. It was an exciting game to watch, but I can't say I'm sorry Idra lost.

The other match I wanted to watch was Sheth, another Zerg, v anyone. He was playing fierce until he got into the pool with the big guys. JulyZerg, another Korean, beat him 2-1 and then MMA, yet another Korean, steamrolled him. Just made me smile.

See Sheth sells himself as a "good mannered" player, but I was watching Mr. Bitter's (Another VT member) stream one day and Sheth was dishing out all kinds of dirt about Avilo. You'd think a team mate might defend you, but apparently Mr. Bitter just wants to make a name for himself, so was too afraid. Anyway, Mr. Bitter has been taking lessons from Sheth. Let's see he lost his first game in the loser's round. Guess that's nuff said.

Of course I had to watch "Incholesterol" cheese his way to the top. His name is in quotes because that's what someone in the SOTG chat called him and I couldn't help but laugh. Someone else said, "He looks like a fat Matt Damon." Some clever and funny dude said, "Yeah, Fatt Damon."

Actually, that's mean, but what goes around comes around and he's been plenty mean to others. Of course, I've heard of a comedian, Don Rickles, that got his laughs from being rude and disrespectful to others - so maybe that's Incontrol's attempt at humor. *shrugs*

When SixjaxMajor, a Terran, whipped Incontrols butt with 13 ghosts, lots of vikings, nukes, and marines and marauders I smiled.

A really interesting segment to me was when Julie Alexandria interviewed Day9, a successful Starcraft commentator, who just got his Masters - I guess a fall back on career. He attributes his mom for much of his success. She always told him, "Embrace what you love doing." She never told him he had to be this or that. "Have fun and do what you love." Too bad more parents aren't as wise.

The three final players were Terran, Protoss, and Zerg - guess no one can say any one race is imba. lol. The final match for the championship was Losira, a Zerg, who looks about 10 years old, v MMA, a Terran; both from Korea. Did anyone expect otherwise?

MMA, will return to Korea, with the money and the trophy, and the knowledge that they still are the best Starcraft competitors in the world.

There's nothing better than to watch extremely skilled players fight to win. The place was filled to capacity, all cheering and rooting for their faves, which added to the excitement.

Okay, VT Gaming team - y'all better start watching replays and practicing even harder for Anaheim.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come you didn't mention the 51 nukes avilo made v Protoss and still lost the game?

Hart said...

Probably because I didn't know at the time of my post. DUH!

And he made 52, but only LOL 41 were launched, which he used to control space.

He lost that game, but still went on to beat Bosco or Bisno or Binco or whatever his name is. Just informed the Protoss player's name is Bosnic - I was close. lol