Monday, May 16, 2011

Dancing with the Stars - Semi Finals May 2011

It's down to the wire and with three dances to rehearse - Kym's injury that could have been really serious, Ralph's leg problem last week that still doesn't seem completely healed, and all of Kirstie's mishaps during the first half of the season - it looks like Chelsea and Mark are the only couple, who have escaped incident throughout the competition.

Ralph and Karina opened tonight's competition and their first dance of the night was the Argentine Tango. Whilst I believe that Ralph never fails to portray the character of the dance, the temperature dropped for me in what should have been a hot and steamy dance. In their second number, despite the butt pads he wore to enhance a part of his anatomy that lacks a bit of meat, they performed a mediocre Salsa.

I know I've said this before, but I'll reiterate - Kirstie is just good for Maks. She brings out the best in him and he definitely brings out the best dancer in her. Her attitude sells every dance she's ever performed. Tonight, she floated across the dance floor with her Viennese Waltz and was fiery hot in her technically demanding Paso Doble.

Chelsea has graduated from a good dancer to a real pro. She and Mark compliment one another; Mark, however, being the pro he is never fails to let her shine. Their Argentine Tango was perfection and I felt the heat between the two of them as they performed that was lacking in Ralph and Karina's Tango. Of course the judges focused more on her legs, which they claimed were too fluid.

What they couldn't fault was her hypnotic Rumba, which was awarded with a perfect score.

Of course, when it comes to the right moves, Hines is perfection (well not always, but damn near close). Tonight he earned three 10s in both his dances. And considering that Kym, who was trying to teach him some lifts in rehearsal that she's never done before, took a fall, twisted her neck and had that big guy land on her head, she's lucky she's still walking, let alone dancing.

Hines is the kind of guy that you have to like. He has this gentle spirit that shines through in his ever present smile. After he and Kym performed their Argentine Tango, he was unable to contain his emotion. There's something so touching about a big, strong man, who takes control of his woman on the dance floor, but supports her with tenderness and caring. Their Salsa was fun and sexy, and you never once wondered who was in control.

I've liked him from beginning and if he doesn't make it to the final two, I'd be surprised, I'd also be kind of sad, because I couldn't get through to vote.

Tonight, for the first time on DWTS, they had a "Winner Takes All Dance." The stars, performing a Cha Cha Cha, competed against each other for 15 additional points. The reasoning behind this is so that the judges have more control over fan votes and "dancers like Brandy shouldn't be voted off" because a dancer not as good had more fan votes.

Okay, I wasn't a fan of Brandy's and was all too happy when she was voted off. Not that she wasn't a good dancer; hell, she had training so she should have been better than those who never danced before in their lives. Her attitude just turned me off. "I'm Brandy! Best dancer here and I'm gonna win this competition, because I'm perfect." Ummmm...NO!

Anyway, I don't know how they picked the couples to compete against each other, but with little time to rehearse their Cha Cha Cha, it was Hines and Kym against Ralph and Karina. We all knew who was going to win that one. Then it was Kirstie and Maks against Chelsea and Mark. Again, no question of who would win.

The final two competing were Hines and Kym vs. Chelsea and Mark and for some reason I think the judges based their votes on who they thought might get the most fan votes, because they all voted to give Chelsea and Mark the extra 15 points.

It was an exciting competition tonight and I think Ralph and Karina danced their last dance.

What do you think?

Who's Going home on 5/17/11
Ralph and Karina
Kirstie and Maks
Chelsea and Mark
Hines and Kim
  
pollcode.com free polls

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great blog missy :) hmmm, i'm with you, i think hines and chelsea will be in the finals. they're the best ones there, and like i said b4, ralphs dances when i watch end up boring to me lofl.

It sucks there's so many injuries or ailments this season. oh well, and i like that they have the extra points so the judges have a bit more control. Otherwise, you get the idiots at home that don't know any better voting based off appearance or other dumb stuff

Anonymous said...

Well, Lucky Taz has no idea who voted in your poll for Mark and Chelsea to go home. They must not be watching the same show I am. She is the closest to perfection I've seen this season for sure. I hope they take the mirror ball trophy.
I like Hines, but I don't think he's as good a dancer as Chelsea. I think the judges have been too generous with him. I believe his dances look good because of Kym, not him.
I know Ralph isn't the best dancer, but I think the judges have been too harsh on him all season. I believe he's doing a respectable job, but yes, he will go home tonite.
Kirstie and Max have just been a joy to watch all season, but I don't think they'll take the trophy home
The way they decided the brackets for the cha-cha was highest score vs. lowest and then the winner would dance with the winner of the next bracket which was the two middle dancers (Chelsea & Kirstie). It was an interesting concept, but the writing was on the wall with that contest for sure.
I'm sorry to see this season ending. It certainly has been enjoyable, and it's been fun to blog about it.

Hart said...

LOL! I guess someone just being funny voted off Chelsea and Mark. They might have gone home if it was dependent on fan votes, but with the extra 15 points, I doubt seriously that will happen now.

LuckyTaz, I hate to disagree with you - well actually, I don't mind it at all...lol...Hines is an excellent dancer. He's got the moves and the musicality and the technique.

avilo, you just make me smile. With all your practice sessions and tennis coaching, I hardly believe you had time to watch the last few shows. hehe And since Chelsie is gone, you don't even care to watch it. *rolls eyes laughng