Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dancing with the Stars 2011 - The Finale

What a great season! Why? Because there weren't any professional dancers and, with the exception of a few, who started the season, they were all equal. Even the last three standing were so close in the competition that it was still anyone's guess who would go home with that trophy.

The finale, too, was maybe the best I've ever seen. Sure, in the past they've brought back the other contestants, but for some reason this was just more fun. And lol at Wendy Williams, who refused to put on her dancing shoes and instead did a talk show spot, interviewing Wendy and Tony. It was funny, but when she said afterwards that she's just glad no one was judging her this time, I'm like "Hello? Wendy? Ummm...we're still wondering if you're a man in drag."

Seriously, though, as I watched the dancers come back to perform I was thinking, How did they get voted off? Romeo and Chelsie were breathtaking. And I always did like Chris Jericho. Petra is a classic and just looks good on the dance floor. Unfortunately - ahem - *looks all innocent* I missed Kendra's dance.

Kudos to whoever put that bit together, where the judges did critiques. Having studied film editing, I know how daunting a task it can be and that editing was fantastic.

Maybe I'm being forgetful, but I don't remember the dancers ever getting a final dance and final scores. I like the idea though.

Chelsea and Mark (I haven't mentioned this before, but Avilo reminds me so much of Mark, albeit a younger, skinnier version)did their favorite dance - a spellbinding Viennese Waltz, which earned them three 10s. The first time around Len didn't care for it too much because it was "Outside the box." Glad he came around to the understanding that in order to grow, some things have to change.

When Kirstie and Maks did their sexy ChaChaCha, several dress sizes later, (For Kirstie that is) it was a vast improvement over the first ChaCha they performed in week one. And I was thrilled that the judges gave them three 10s. She really deserved them.

Now, what can I say about Hiney Ward. I still think he's a tight end. :D. He and Kym ended the season with their favorite dance, the Samba, and it was done to perfection. That man can move on the dance floor, but he does more than that, he lights up the stage.

The show ended with 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place being announced - what we've waited for all season - but it didn't exactly turn out as I expected. When Chelsea and Mark took 3rd, I sat with my jaw dropped to the floor and wondered if my chosen was going home with the Mirror Ball. I held my breath, as Tom made the moment even more dramatic, then sighed relief when Hines and Kym took first place. And if y'all read back to the beginning of the season's posts, you'll see I was right again :D

This season was, by far, one of my favorites and it's because none of the competitors were professional dancers or had any training whatsoever. I only hope that the producers of the show take heed, as I'm pretty sure most of the viewers feel the same.

So until next season, ciao! Which reminds me, Chris Jericho did a damn good impression of Bruno. lol

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a great season :) And i am happy to say i saw every episode, albeit the last two bits and pieces after commercials n such.

you were right (bet you like hearin that -_-) hines definitely was the best one, though it could have been chelsea and mark (har har skinnier version? SAJFDSKFJSADKFDJKDSFJSK)

im surprised the guy warmed up to that "new age" dance or what not this time, cause last time he didn't know wtf he was talking about lol.

i agree about having no ringers this time, ringers make it boring lol.

just so sorry chelsie couldn't win :( (lol yelll at me later she's one of the pros ahahaah)

hehe, great blog missy, i always look forward to reading them :) and im sure others do too

Hart said...

Hey, Avilo, you were just half-ass watching it. lol And I don't know if you were agreeing with me when I said Hines, but you said Hines, too.

LOL @ your "new age" dance.

Thanks for the comment, Mister. I always look forward to reading what you have to say - even dumb things like "Chelsie couldn't win." lofl.

Anonymous said...

Lucky Taz agrees that this was one of the best seasons yet of DWTS, and I loved the finale. Josh Groban singing while Petra danced was spellbinding. Chelsea and Romeo's dance was beautiful with amazing lifts. I think the dancers who came back did better because they weren't being judged.

I could not believe that Kirstie and Max were in the final two instead of Mark and Chelsea. That proves to me that it's still a popularity contest. I will always believe that Mark and Chelsea should have won the mirror ball trophy if it was just based on dancing. In my opinion, she looked like a pro dancing with Mark.

I agree that Chris' impersonation of Bruno was hilarious.

Thank you for your dancing blog all season. It certainly added to the enjoyment of the show.

Hart said...

No, actually thank you for your comments/input. It makes writing the blog so much more fun knowing that someone out there derives from it enjoyment. :)

I really thought the contestants would come in Hines/Chelsea/Kirstie. And yes it is a popularity contest, because there were much better dancers than Kirstie - although for her size and age, she did a damn good job.