Saturday, April 23, 2011

Violence in America

In the morning, as always, I grab my cup of coffee and get online to check out the news. I feel safer online because I can pick and choose which stories pique my interest. When I watch the news on TV I'm subject to everything bad, good (hardly ever), and indifferent. Violence, crime, hate, government, and world issues (which includes violence, crime, and hate). Anyway, online is just better for me as in "ignorance is bliss."

Today, however, I came across an item so unbelievable that I was compelled to read the story. Rosedale, MD; McDonald's; Girl Beaten into Seizure. I cringed at the thought that this could happen; that employees, not only stood around watching, but one actually thought it would make a good viral video, so he filmed it. (Which it turns out will be great court evidence) But, my God, wtf is wrong with people? Why so much hate? Why so much violence? How can people just sit back and watch? Why didn't someone call 911?

There was one man, perhaps a McDonald's employee, I'm not sure, who did try to break it up, but the two black girls kept coming back to brutalize this white girl. Was it race related or just plain hate related?

Finally, an older woman intervened; however, she was threatened as well.

Have we become immune to violence?

The Bureau of Justice reported that violent crimes rose from 42.7% in 1992-1993, to 48.3% from 2006-2007. FBI data reflects a 6.2% decrease, nationwide, in violent crimes, during the first six months of 2010 WOW! So we're not so violent? We don't hate so much? Everything is getting better?

What causes acts of violence? There was a time when pool halls and rock and roll were blamed. Then, of course, TV, now it's video games. The lack of religion in our lives is high on the list, but according to an email I received from a friend, the University of Michigan reports that the U.S. is among the most religious nations in the world. So what really causes a person to be so angry, so hateful that he/she would strike out against a fellow human being? I wish I knew.

The two black girls, ages 18 and 14, who assaulted the white girl were more than violent; more than hateful. One will be tried as an adult, the other will get away with being tried as a juvenile. And the white girl, who could not protect herself from her two attackers, will be traumatized for the rest of her life.

Unfortunately, every time she sees a black person she'll be reminded of the incident and every black person she encounters will be hateful and violent. And whilst that isn't true, it's embedded in her subconscious forever more.

All I can say is "Why?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know it might have easily been two white girls attacking a black girl, right?

I agree there's a lot of hatred in this world and I'm afraid I don't have the answers to why.

But naturally when the population per capita rises, there's bond to be a higher percentage of crime. That's just common sense.

Hart said...

Well, duh! I didn't make the race, I'm just saying I what I read.

Obviously, it could have been any race. I don't know if it was a racial issue, even. I just think it's wrong when anyone gets so angry that they can't control their tempers. They definitely need help.

Anonymous said...

Lucky Taz doesn't know what this world is coming to with all the violence, and especially involvng so many young people. Very, very sad. People are afraid to get involved for their own safety, but they could definitely dial 911.
I agree it could be any race ... I truly believe it's the media that makes it such a race issue.