Tuesday, June 21, 2011

America's Got Talent - Atlanta - More Comic Relief?

One of the comments I got from a viewer stated that the show leaves in the rotten acts for comic relief. Sorry, but I thought "comic" referred to something funny. Guess Piers and I are the only ones not laughing.

Really, I didn't think it could get worse than Seattle, but 45 minutes into the show and I didn't see a Vegas worthy, one million dollar act on that stage. It was pathetic. If this is a talent show, show me some damn talent.

Then, at the end, to keep you watching I guess, was the WOW moment. Anna Graceman, an 11 year old from Alaska (well it starts with an A) performed an Alicia Keys number, "If I've Got You," with the soul of a musician, who struggled her whole life for the "big break."

Watching her sing and accompany herself on the piano, emoting feelings that, you'd think, an 11 year old shouldn't have, gave me goosebumps.

Frankly, if it wasn't for her, I'd probably quit the show. Although it's rather like a horrific scene where you want to close your eyes, but can't.

The producers probably think, we'll give the audience one good act and with all the other acts, show America that it really doesn't have talent.

Of course I can see a drag queen like Hershae Chocolatte in Vegas. I, along with Piers, wasn't even going to give him/her a chance. Once she started dancing, she was pretty okay. Unlike Piers, though, I have a sense of humor. lol

We got clips of a jump rope team; Fiddlehead, a bluegrass band; and DJ Face, a 6 year old DJ (guess I didn't get the talent there) who were all voted through.

There was a clip of a unicyclist dressed like I don't know what, (If anyone has a clue let me know) who didn't say a word and didn't even wait to be judged. I mean it kind of makes me think the show should be called "America's Got The Weirdest Talent."

More clips, of people who didn't make it through, showed a Robot named Michael Potts and a yodeler, except he called it hollering. Ummm... yeah.

And you know those bad dancers at parties, who, when they start, you just wanna laugh? There was a Seinfeld episode about this guy, Mr. Shake It Up, only it was about Elaine.

Other acts voted through, who I don't think should have been:

Attack Dance Crew. A group of college boys who were nothing more than a drill team in my opinion. Piers thought the "choreography" was fresh and innovative, but I agree with Howie, they looked like cheerleaders sans the pom poms. Unfortunately, Piers talked Sharon into voting yes. *rolls eyes*

Captain and Maybelle. Yeah, people go for horror. The judges couldn't even watch as Captain swallowed hangers and a sword weighed down with cinder blocks. Whilst I can actually see something like that in Vegas, it was more side show quality to me, but the audience loved it. *more eye rolls*

And finally an OMG! Are you kidding me? moment. Armand and Angelina, who have been married for 10 yrs. and 3 mos. sing and it's like "Making love," said Armand. "Now we get to make love with the audience." Their "Cross-over music" made me wanna cross over for sure.

They took this beautiful song "My Heart Will Go On" from the film Titanic and killed it. Like Nick Cannon said, "This performance is going down faster than the Titanic."

Armand prefaced what they were about to sing by telling the judges his wife has had classical training and he only trained in bars. Her voice made me want to cringe it was so grating and, yeah, he doesn't have a voice at all, but he can play the flute. lol.

Now mind you, they are totally serious about what they do, but Howie thought it was a comedy routine I guess. He said, "It's so ridiculous, it's wonderful." Piers, on the other hand said, "I agree with Howie, it's ridiculous." Sharon said, "It's camp and cheesy." So this couple went through with two yes votes. *Rolls eyes until I get dizzy

Atlasta it's over and it was the longest one hour ever. Which reminds me, it's the longest day of the year, too. Yep, just looked outside and at 9 p.m. central, it's still light out. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well missy, the shows need ratings, so yah, they have all those ridiculous acts.

I suppose when they first started adding those they were "funny" but after seeing a kajillion idiotic acts it gets tiring and ya, you just wanna see some good talent.

There can't be good without the bad though, so there has to be some contrast or else it'd be boring if they just showed all the amazing ones...so meh, seems ok to me, i haven't seen it lately tho -_-

mikeylikesit said...

"Atlasta" is that suppose to be Italian for At last?

Funny stuff. I always enjoy reading your blog posts - well almost always.

tinkerbell said...

Now I wish I had waited until the end of the show. Sorry I missed Anna.

It was a waste of time for me so I turned it off after the stupid costumed person.

LOL! You're right it should be called America's Got The Weirdest Talent.

luckytaz said...

I can't believe some of the acts they put through. Sure, you need some contrast and comic relief, but it's getting pretty boring with so many ridiculous acts.

Hart said...

Avilo, ratings are gonna "Go down faster than the Titanic" with those ridiculous acts.

Several people have already agreed with me - so yeah.

And there can be good without out - look in the mirror. :) Oh wait, I'm the one who should look in the mirror. LOL

As the show stands now, it IS BORING! Not to mention utterly ridiculous.

Hart said...

LuckyTaz - love the picture!

If it was left up to Piers - and me, of course - hehe hardly any acts would get voted in. Although, he voted for the Dance Attack Crew. So, if it was left up to me, one act would have gone through.

Tink - We think so much alike it's unbelievable. Sorry you missed Anna, but I bet you can catch her performance on YouTube.

Mikey - yes - At Last A is kinda the way Italians would say the sentence - well at least in jokes. lol

I was trying to be funny, but I guess it was too subtle. Atlanta is only one letter off - get it?

Okay, looks like I might be a candidate for America's Got Talent. lol