Tuesday, May 31, 2011

America's Got Talent - NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This is why I don't turn on the TV.

I remember a while back switching the channel when I saw some idiots on the AGT stage making fools of themselves. I just shook my head in disbelief and never turned the show on again.

Then, sometime last winter I turned on the TV and it happened to be on the station that airs America's Got Talent. Surprisingly, it caught my attention, because there was actually someone talented performing. Grrrrr! I got involved. Every Tuesday and Wednesday night I plopped down in front of the set, anxious to see who made it to the next round. It became another Dancing with the Stars for me.

I followed it religiously, watching aerial acts, bicyclists, an awesome group called, Fighting Gravity, a cross-dresser, named Poppycock, who was not only outrageously talented with costuming and make-up, but whose voice was extremely well trained. But what blew me away, was a little girl named Jackie Evancho, who, no doubt, had been possessed by an experienced and much older vocalist.

My favorite, though, and not because of his voice as much as his soul and style, was Michael Grimm. From the first time I heard him, I thought, he's a winner. And he did win. I remember jumping up and down as if I had just won the lottery.

Okay, it was over and I happily vowed never to watch the show again. Then tonight, for noise and to get away from the puter for a while, I turned on the TV. *rolls eyes* Season 6, America's Got Talent, the premiere show. Fortunately, I missed the first hour.

I swear some of these people are totally delusional. They actually believe they have talent so much so that it's laughable. Good grief, not one, but two guys fell off the frickin stage. LOL...okay, not funny, they could have been hurt. But puuuuleeeeeze, how do these people even make the auditions? A group of elderly men, in diapers, holding lollipops and wearing baby bonnets, who claimed they could dance????? Husband and wife sword fighters? That bit wasn't even choreographed well. The show is a joke - at least a big part of it.

Nevertheless, the real talent shines even brighter when competing against the buffoons. Three kids, 5,6,& 7, "fwiends, who just wistened to the wadio and started wrappin one day, fared well for their ages. What amazed me more was the confidence they displayed. They were relaxed, polite - not a fake polite, but more like an adult kind of courteous - and self-assured.

Another group that stood out for me were dancers, who - like Fighting Gravity - had an original gimmick. They danced in the dark, but were illuminated in various colors. I think their names were something like The Luminaires. *shrugs*

They did one bit that just went by too quickly for me. Two people were the wheels for several others that were - ummmm... I don't know what. A car, train, something in motion. The wheels did somersaults in perfect sync and it actually looked like a moving vehicle. I really need to find out more about this group.

Anyway, *sighs* I think I'm hooked again. Fortunately, I had the courage to click the remote's off button before Voice, another talent show, started. phewwwww.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHA!!! You're back on this AGT drug...I think i will get hooked on it with you :D

Hart said...

LOL...well you can't, but I remember that we watched last season pretty much every time together.

Now you're with a team and have practice so we can't be together and like last year, you coach tennis on Wednesday nights. That's how I got hooked in the first place.

Yeah, I have you to blame. *glares*

Anonymous said...

I guess America's Got Talent is our replacement for DWTS.
Lucky Taz likes AGT and really enjoyed last season with Michael Grimm, Poppycock and Fighting Gravity. I think it was hard to say who would win. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about Michael Grimm though.
I missed the first show this season because we were at our youngest granddaughter's 12th birthday party. I didn't think it was worth recording.

Hart said...

Thanks for the comment LT.

Frankly, as much as I liked Grimm's style last season, Poppycock - to me - was more Vegas show style. Although, there were a couple illusionists that could easily headline in Vegas.

I don't really get into AGT until the end, so I'm pretty safe. But it is fun to watch the craziness in the audition shows.

Anonymous said...

Lucky Taz wants to know if you ever saw the ventriloquist, Terry Fator, who won a couple seasons ago. He has a fabulous Vegas show. Yes, Poppycock would have been great in Vegas, as would Fighting Gravity. Grimm probably should have been on one of the many singing talent shows.

Hart said...

Never saw Fator. Like I said, I turned on the TV one year and that dumb program was on, I immediately switched stations and never watched the show again.

Then last season, when I turned on TV AGT was airing, only this time, very near the season's end, there was talent and so I watched.

I agree with you that there were far better choices to headline Vegas, than Grimm. He's an awesome talent, but not Vegas imo.