Wednesday, July 6, 2011

AGT - Finally In Vegas

If you're expecting to read a precise account of who went straight to Hollywood, who got their chance to perform in Vegas, or which acts were put on stand-by, you ain't gonna git it here. But thanks for dropping by. :D

Out of the 100 chosen for Vegas, only 48 would be left standing, the others would have their dreams shattered. Frankly, some of the acts the judges voted through to Vegas didn't belong there to begin with.

At the opening of the show the acts were told, "Some of you will not be performing for us tonight." I'm thinking wtf???? They bring them all here just to send them home? It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, not a judges.

Piers asks each act, whose name is called, to stand. Well, first there's that knife swallowing dude, followed by the knife throwing cowboy. Then the kids in a cage. Right away, I'm thinking this is just dumb. I mean why did you even get their hopes up? But then they call out some really talented acts, like the female vocalist who's boyfriend was killed a couple years ago. HUH? Are you people crazy?

After a dramatic pause, and a commercial, Pierce announces that the 10 acts whose names were just called "Will not be performing tonight, because your going directly to Hollywood." With some of the acts they sent to Hollywood, I'm thinking maybe they are crazy.

Now we're down to 38 - the judges faves performed tonight and others are on stand-by. They're only shot to perform is to hope the faves fail.

They categorized the acts to make judging easier, but it wasn't easier for me to keep track of them and I swear there were some really talented acts missing.

First up - Danger! Fire juggler, the dude who broke his forehead on boards, a cyclist stunt team, and Frank, who juggles a million and a half volts of electricity. Someone let me know which one made it through to Hollywood.

Female singing groups Guess I missed some, because all I saw was 4 Play messing up so badly that the judges sent them home immediately and The twins, Mona Lisa, who are going to Hollywood.

Acrobats, which included the Polefessional, Steve, and the other pole dancer Soleil. I think once Soleil watched Steve's act, she knew she wasn't going to make it, so she played the sympathy card. It didn't work. Steve is on his way to Hollywood.

Magicians. Compared to last year, these magicians are amateurs. Fantastic Fig and his card tricks, belong in some bar. Actually, behind the bar, mixing up drinks in between the card trix.

I know Michael had some problems with his act. Even though he continued to make girls appear outta nowhere, he won't be making them magically appear in Hollywood.

Animal Acts. Jack Russel. Fail. MaCaw. Fail. Echo the Parrot, even though he/she didn't feel like performing, is going to Hollywood.

Classical vocalists. Now, if someone could please tell me why they put Landau, the guy that sings like Frank Sinatra, in the classical vocalists with opera singers, I'd appreciate it. Although, he did perform better than poor Cindy Chang, who I really had hopes for. This time out, she failed miserably, and I don't think the body-building opera singer made it through.

Bands The only one I cared about was Pop Lyfe. Piers wasn't pleased with them the first time around, and I think all the judges thought the lead singer could go it alone, but she told them she doesn't go anywhere without her boys. She also said that they'd do more electric next time, and they did. They were great in all aspects of their performance and they're on their way to Hollywood.

Dance acts Ouch! A member of Fatally Unique, was injured and taken to the hospital. She returned with a split lip and the tip of her nose broken. And then the lead dancer from another group twisted her ankle. But who do you think had no mishaps and was just as awesome as he was the first time? That would be Snap Boogie, who is going to Hollywood. Mmmhmmm. Go Snap Boogie, Go Snap Boogie. I don't think he'll be street performing too much longer.

Female vocalists - solo Out of the three finalists in this category, I just wanted Dani Shay to make it to Hollywood. The Justin Beiber look-alike, took a chance and performed a song she had written. She messed up, but has a voice so, the judges gave her a chance to find a well-known song and come back for a second chance.

She sang "Troubled" which was probably appropriately defining the way she felt. I liked the way she performed the song and so did the judges. See ya in Hollywood, Dani.

Comics Having done stand-up for a while in Chicago clubs, the one thing I know for sure is, you need an audience. Three people does not an audience make, especially if they're not guffawers. With Piers, who doesn't find anything funny, the comics didn't stand a chance. I was happy that Melissa Villasenor was one of the 10 sent right through to Hollywood.

I felt sorry for the one female comic, who raced through her routine like she had to take a pee. The heavy sweater with the one liners made it through and I'm pretty sure the guy who makes up short, funny songs made it through.

Not sure what they called the next group, because I was running from TV to office and missed the start, but I'm calling it Novelty Acts A drag queen, who looked gorgeous, but couldn't sing. A ping pong paddle guy? The Funny Little People, who are going to Hollywood - they cute, but not a million bucks worth of cute. Neither is the Kinetic King, but he got sent through, too.

Lastly the Male Vocalist category. Pretty sure there were four, most of whom I missed, but I got to see Desmond, a consummate entertainer, go to Hollywood.

I'll continue to watch it this season, but in the future, I refuse to subject myself to the idiotic acts that AGT considers comic relief. Next season, if there is one, someone is going to have to let me know when the finals are, because watching AGT with all the dumb acts, is just a waste of my time.

2 comments:

djcb said...

heeeey, it can't be THAT bad of a waste of time to watch...can it lol? Seems pretty entertaining, nice review :)

Hart said...

Well, yes it can. *glares