Thursday, March 10, 2011

GRRRRRRRRRRR

WARNING: This IS a STARCRAFT rant

This is a pure rant!  "Haters gonna hate!" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Seriously,  I just don't understand it! Tonight, when avilo streamed, I moderated chat as usual. On occasion one or two people come into his stream get in chat and are insulting. They can be controlled, but when there's a mob shouting out insults and being totally BM...it's impossible. Not to mention frustrating.

I always joke, "trolls gotta eat too." But these weren't trolls. They were vicious and a disgrace to the Starcraft community. Their bad manners were intentional. Supporters, I was told, of minigun, whom avilo was playing at the time. They hopped on avilo's stream for no other reason than to be mean.

When it comes to banning people, I'm usually pretty patient. I warn them first and try to reason with them. Avilo's stream is friendly and I try to keep it that way. In my opinion a stream chat should be used for constructive criticism - a place to discuss strategies and builds -  a place to ask questions and maybe learn something - a place to laugh and have fun.

This group intentionally formed a mob with the sole purpose of driving off avilo's viewers and creating chaos. If I were minigun, I'd be a shamed to say they are my supporters.

When avilo, who was having a terrible time with his mouse, finished his third game with minigun, the room quieted; the haters left. The friendly group remained; nevertheless I sat there and wondered the remainder of the night, how people can stoop down so low as to purposely be cruel.

End rant!

2 comments:

luckytaz said...

Wow, bullying is everywhere these days. What is wrong with people? Do they have that low of self esteem?

Hart said...

I'm of the opinion that these "bullies" suffer from really low self-esteem, as you suggest.

If you point a finger at someone else, people tend to look in that direction and not at you. It's a defense mechanism to keep the haters in their comfort zone.

When on the TL forum a poster ridiculed not avilo's game, but his appearance - suggesting that he looked like he had some kind of disease, I was amazed that a TL moderator didn't ban the user immediately.

Several other people, including me, commented on how offensive this poster was. Avilo reported him and some 40 minutes later the moderator banned the poster; however, because TL seems to hate avilo so much, the mod was rude and telling avilo to "Fuck off."

Hopefully, these people do not represent the whole of the future, because that would just be too sad. :(